Week by week

Week by week

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Week ending 9-25-16

Sunday: Sunday morning we spent some wonderful time together. My parents had all of their 6 children and some of their grandchildren gathered around for final goodbyes. Hard to believe when I saw my dad in May he was doing great. In July he started going downhill, but thought he'd bounce back up and that he still had at least a year left. Then last Wednesday he went downhill exceedingly fast. We were all called home from 4 different states and China. We spent Sunday with him fairly alert. Monday he was in and out. Tuesday he passed away. 

He served in the stake presidency with these two spiritual giants. 
It was fun having them visit and boost our spirits. 

Hanging out Sunday night with more visitors. 
It was very touching to see how many people came to visit my dad. 
While we were downstairs visiting, these kids were doing goofy hairstyles on each other and playing games.
Kaitlyn
Thomas--poor boy among 5 girls.
Alexis. Notice the bangs sticking straight up.
Parading their extreme hairstyles while we were visiting.
These three were all baptized the same day 31 years ago. One was a convert, the other two were 8 year olds. My sister is in the middle and the other two are our friends, still living in the area. Old friends are the best.
Monday: the kids played on the zipline.
While we were visiting with more friends who had stopped by, Samuel stuck his thumb in the pumpkin pie someone had brought and drew all over it. It was a huge pie too, 12" across.
Playing on the swingset I played on as a kid. It's probably 40 years old.
Makenna

Tuesday: Sitting with Dad just before he died.  
Last picture of my mom and dad before he died. 
They are both 64 years old, and were soon to celebrate their 45th anniversary.
Wednesday: Makenna threw some scraps out for the deer and there were 6 or 7 fairly close to her.
I wish the pictures were better. I love seeing deer right out the back door.

Misty constantly tried to win over Anderson and at least this night she was his friend. He gave her a little back rub and played peek-a-boo with her as she looked through photo albums in search of pictures of my dad for a slide show.


Thursday: Kenna, Kait, and Sam playing on a rocking horse my grandpa made for me and my siblings when we were little.


I peeked in to make sure Samuel was going to sleep and found him playing with my old dolls and stuffed animals.

Friday: The viewing for my dad. The relief society room was set up beautifully with flowers and mementos all over. 
Here is one of the displays.
I wasn't going to post any pictures of my dad after he died, but Kaitlyn was so sweet as she reverently said her good-byes.
My mom and her 6 children, all temple worthy.

Saturday: The pallbearers, including Nathan and Spencer carrying the casket to the grave after the funeral.
Looks like someone got ahold of the camera and took some silly pictures.


My mom and her 6 kids again.
My mom and her 6 children and 16 grandchildren.
Afterward we went back to the church where the cultural hall was beautifully decorated for a luncheon. I was really touched. I didn't know funeral luncheons were so pretty.

Complete with Snickers and Hershey Kisses, Dad's favorite.

Sunday afternoon we hung out on the back patio and talked.
The silly kids played dress-up in Mama's clothes.


Uncle Brady helped tuck in my kids that night.

It was definitely a bittersweet week. I'm so glad I got to be there when my dad passed. I still can't believe he's gone. It's not real to me yet. I'm sad he's gone but I'm grateful for all the tender mercies and spiritual experiences I had this week. I know the Lord takes care of us in hard times.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but glad you got to be there to say goodbye.

Lori Hofmann said...

You have a lot of pictures no one else has. Can you send them out?