Week by week

Week by week

Monday, July 12, 2021

Week ending 7-11-21 Yard work, trek

 

Sunday: Hanging out as family and catching itty bitty grasshoppers.


Then wandering over to the blackberries and picking ourselves a snack.


Monday: Cutting down dead trees along our driveway. This is my first tree I've cut with my new chainsaw. It's a little scary but I grew up watching my dad fall large trees so I feel like I know how to do it without even learning. He would be proud of me and I wish he were here to help me in my yard. 
We start where the shade ends and then work down the driveway as by lunchtime the whole driveway is sunny. Then we go in and eat. :) This is the view looking down the driveway and seeing the kids happily trimming tree sprouts, talking, and singing. I love working with my children outside every morning.
Anderson picked up these two logs and said they were his lunch boxes and he was going off to work in the woods. I don't know where he learned that from but that's exactly what my dad did: took a red and white coleman lunchbox/cooler with food in it to last him a full day in the woods. I wish Andy could have known my dad. He was 12 months old when Papa died. I miss him so much, especially now that I have a country house of my own.
After lunch Thomas rests and reads.
Kaitlyn and Makenna take their dolls on a picnic.
Tuesday: Working on the driveway again until lunchtime.
Alexis tries a sythe we found in the tool shed but I don't think it's sharp enough.
After dinner we had popcorn, granola bars and finished the season of Relative Race.
Wednesday: We took a trip into town and stocked up on more library books. The boys dumped some of theirs out upstairs and sat and read them.
Other kids dropped their load on the chairs just inside the front door. One of these days we'll get couches.
Thomas and Alexis spent an hour chatting in the hammock. I love seeing them spend more time together here than they did in Utah and grow closer.
All of the kids playing on the obstacle course after dinner.
Blackberries ripening up. They are huge and the best I've ever tasted.
Tropical Storm Elsa. Alexis is mad we didn't move to the coast to get hit by more hurricanes. I love them too, but I also love the mountains and cooler summers. We did get rain all day Thursday from the outer bands of Elsa so we'll count that as our first Atlantic storm encounter.
Friday morning: Thomas and Alexis off to Trek.
Meanwhile we went home and worked as usual. Makenna and Talea helped me make a number sign to put at the end of the driveway so people can find our house.
A neighbor came over and sold us 2 quarts of his honey and gave us a third one for free. Then he came back and let us borrow his mower for the afternoon. All the stores are out so I still haven't bought one.

Blueberries ripening up too!

After I mowed Kait and Kenna took their babies for a picnic. I love looking out my window and seeing them totally immersed and enjoying themselves. No neighbors watching, no places to go, they can do it for as long as they want.
Samuel enjoying a hammock.
Talea enjoying a homemade wheat biscuit with our neighbor's honey (that probably came from our clover since there are thousands of bees in our clover and his property is adjacent to ours.)

Andy also enjoying a relaxing afternoon. I just love it when I look around and everyone is content.

Saturday: Talea showing me her little caterpillar.

While Alexis and Thomas were at trek we organized sheds #2 and 3 out of the 6 outbuildings we have. This one (for now) will be the kids' shed where they can keep their bikes, jumproes, baseballs, etc. The previous owners used it for food storage because it's dark and cool, so that is also a good idea. But it's right by the driveway and a great place to store bikes.
This shed will be the yard work tool shed or "Mom's shed" :) where I keep my toys. I organized the battery chargers by an outlet and hung up a lot of tools.

Kaitlyn worked on the barn and wants to turn this area into a chicken coop. We just need to find a way for them to get in and out. Any ideas? And figure out a lot of other little details. Wish we had a chicken expert friend to come over and help us. :) We don't know what we're doing.
The 5 little kids playing dragons.
My number sign almost done. We just need to find letters for our name. It's harder to find than I thought.
Makenna picking us some blueberries. I love working outside with her.


We planted our garden very late so I'm excited we'll still get a zucchini or two.
The boys playing on a mulch pile.



No comments: