Week by week

Week by week

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shopping With Six

Yesterday I took the kids to do errands and had my camera, so I thought I'd snap a few pictures of how we go grocery shopping with six kids. It's actually been awhile since I've taken them all because Nathan's been off work since July 1. And the two weeks before that the kids were in Florida and at the pageant. Nathan's still home getting things ready for his new job and could have watched them, but we were going to the library and getting school supplies too, so everyone wanted to come.
We love shopping at Kroger. It's clean; not very crowded; has great manager's specials on bread, dairy, and meat; and most importantly, I love the people who work there. They know my kids by name and ask where they are when I don't bring them (or whoever is missing.) I really enjoy shopping there and so do the kids. Especially when I let them make a scene by pushing around these little carts:

They didn't really do it this time, but usually they all pick a category to put in their cart. They'll say, "I'm getting the cold food," (meaning milk, cheese, eggs) or "I'm getting cereal," or "My cart is frozen foods," or "I get produce" and the last category is "snacks" which is everything from chips to baking supplies. They're great shoppers and I actually do love bringing them along (most of the time.:))

I push Kaitlyn in the stroller.



Checking out.
I let all the kids go through first, putting their items on the belt and any coupons they may have.



Spencer loves to help bag the groceries, so he has to go first. The bagger gets a kick out of watching Spencer help. He's so enthusiastic and fast. I'm in the rear to pay for it all.

Out to the car we go!

Spencer is also the cart boy and is so good to push the mini carts back.

7 comments:

cheryl said...

I miss Kroger!!!!!! You are amazing. I love how all your kids help with the grocery shopping.

Sally said...

That is SO cute and cool :) I have never seen mini carts like that before!

Emily said...

That is too cute to see all of your kids helping out!

Charlotte said...

I've started splitting the list and kids up so we get shopping done in less time. I love that they are old enough to go off and get things on their own.

RobinsonRugrats said...

They just got those mini carts at the Food Lion by our house as well. They are such a good way to get the kids involved!!

Net said...

Wow, I go shopping with 3 and get dirty looks or comments that I have "so many" and must be "done." Insane.
I'm glad you have a place that makes shopping a good experience - oh, how would that be?!

Ramona Zabriskie said...

This reminds me of my own childhood with five children in the family. My dad was paid once a month, so we did ONE BIG SHOPPING TRIP for groceries soon after the 1st. We pulled a trailer behind our car (because the care was stuffed with kids). Then, we each got a cart (or trolley, as they say here in England) and off we'd go! The clerks loved it and we kids loved all the stares and honks we got driving our loaded trailer home.