Week by week

Week by week

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Week ending 8-7-16

This was our first week of school. I've always started the first week of August and either taken time off for births and baptisms (as family came for it out of state) or had a big Thanksgiving through Christmas break. We also get out mid-May. This year we don't have any births or blessings to take time off for so we will have a nice fall and spring break in addition to 2 weeks at Thanksgiving and 2 at Christmas. 
I loved the way our front room looked with the couches, piano, and fake tree. But this also seemed to be the best room to homeschool so we ousted the living room furniture and moved in the desks. I miss having a living room there but it also works great for a school room.

Kaitlyn's 1st grade photo. 
Thomas's 4th grade photo. 
She loves her desk and loves school. 
Alexis's 6th grade photo. I'll have to get the rest of the kids another time.

It was also the day Nathan got the key to his new office. He has quit working at a chronic fatigue clinic (despite all the notes around the house from the kids that I posted on here) and has decided to open his own practice. It's been a hard decision as we moved here just for him to work at that clinic. If he were to open his own practice I would have stayed in the East. Nevertheless, he's starting here. He got the key so we had a wonderful family picnic and FHE under the trees behind his office. Then he showed us inside. It's just 2 rooms--one will be a waiting room and the other his office/exam room. So far it has nothing in it, so he's busy scouring ads for medical equipment and furniture. I know he'll love practicing solo and can't wait till he gets his first patients. 
Anderson fell asleep on the way to his office.
I thought it was cute how they were sharing scriptures during FHE.  
I neglected to get a photo of us all eating and having FHE, but this is what it looked like after we all got up to go inside the office. 
Kait carrying Andy to the front of the building to go inside.
I also neglected to photograph the inside, but I will next time I go.

Spencer is doing science entirely by himself--an 8th grade science curriculum. (Usually we do it all together or olders and youngers) Here he's doing his first experiment.

Here is Anderson's experiment: trying out every cherry tomato. He loves putting his hand into this bowl of them and eat one after the other, only to make a face, shudder, and spit it out. Then grab another. 


For some reason Kait, Kenna, and Sam put their shoes on the fake tree and took pictures of each other. 

Kylie got to go to an organ camp at BYU with a friend this week. Wednesday she got to go to the Conference Center and have 3 minutes to play the organ. Linda Margetts tutored her and showed her the registrations. What a neat opportunity! 
Nathan took Kylie up there for her performance and Kaitlyn and Thomas came along. 


They also got their picture with Bonnie Goodliffe.  

Friday I looked out the back door and saw the three little kids happily playing. The joys of childhood!


I went out and took a picture of the little boys in the sand box. 


Friday night we had a great opening ceremonies party, but I didn't take pictures. Too bad because we had tasty food and wonderful bonding time with the whole family. Nathan's computer broke so he had to just relax, help out with the kids, and enjoy the night without trying to work and play at the same time. This picture was from Saturday where Thomas was watching the bike racing. I tried to get the beautiful scenery in because that was my favorite part of watching the race. I would love to bike ride there!
We made this Crystal Palace for history and did a Great Exhibition right before the opening ceremonies. I didn't take pictures of the things the kids made to exhibit, but I do have this pic of the Palace built in 1851.

Makenna's Sunday hairdo by Kylie.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love reading about your homeschool days. I also like the new homeschool area. We turned our dining room into the school room, and we eat in the breakfast nook. It's a bit cramped in there, but it's what works best for us.

That is so cool that Kylie was able to play the organ at the Conference Center! Love reading about your Utah adventures.

I wish Nathan all the best as he starts his own practice. I know it can't be easy, but hopefully his decision will bring him happiness and success (though I also wish he had made this decision while y'all were still in North Carolina).

Best of luck to everyone in the new school year!

Lori Hofmann said...

Love the picture of the little boys! I love Samuels hair looking curly!