Week by week

Week by week

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Week ending 1-16-22 New van and winter storm prep

 I didn't take many pictures this week because all I did besides school and taking care of the kids and house is work on car stuff. It was a super stressful week. Last Sunday some people at church gave us a 2005 Honda Odyssey and I was happy at first b/c it had been stressful the week before suddenly being without transportation and having to buy a new van. I really wanted it to work out but unfortunately the tires were flat, the windshield cracked, neither sliding door worked, it only had 7 seats and 6 working seat belts for the 9 of us, the radio or anything electronic like the clock didn't work, and the engine light was on. It was dirty and I just didn't feel good about keeping it so instead of paying to title and register it I spent the week trying to sell it and buy a new Sienna. It pretty much consumed me but on Thursday I traded in the Honda and bought a 2013 Toyota Sienna that I hope will last us 10-15 years. Our '06 lasted us 12 years and we loved it and was hoping to have it another 3 years.

I took the 4 little kids to get the new van south of Charlotte, over 2 hours away. Used vans are hard to find and the ones I wanted kept getting sold the morning I would call about them. So I jumped on this one and was so happy to have this whole ordeal over with. We'd been borrowing a friend's truck (which obviously we can't fit in) and I really wanted to give it back to him and we weren't supposed to drive the Honda without registering it and the Sienna was totaled. So we had 3 cars but I was anxious to get rid of them all and just have 1 good van that is ours again.
Our new van! There's slim pickings these days so I had to grab the one that was the best deal. Luckily it also came with some fun features our last van didn't have like bluetooth, 2 power doors and a power trunk, sunroof, backup camera, and navigation system. We're pretty excited. I drove it home Thursday night but haven't driven it since. And now we're getting hit with a major winter storm so who knows when I'll drive next but I'm looking forward to it.


Friday a guy paid me $1000 and we said goodbye to the van I've had longer than I've had the last 5 kids. It's worn the license plate of 3 states. It's crossed the country 4 times, putting its tires in 31 states and been super reliable. I've put 100,000 miles on it the past 12 years and made lots of family memories going on field trips or just down the street to the library. 




We celebrated getting a new van and having the other 3 vehicles gone by cutting wood! I cut 4 piles and we hauled 6 loads from the NW woods across the pasture to the wood pile. Everyone was in good moods and had a lot of fun. I loved watching the 4 oldest take turns driving with a younger one on their laps and others running along side the lawn tractor.



We have 5 rows stacked up and are ready for the winter storm this weekend!
We also brought a lot into the house to keep us toasty if the power goes out.

No comments: