Week by week

Week by week

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Week ending 1-9-22 First snow and first car crash

 Not many pictures this week. Because of what happened on Monday I was consumed with that and didn't take many other pictures. That's ok though because it compensates for picture overload last week. 

Monday: It had been 70 on Sunday and then it snowed Monday morning. Our first snow! I would have loved to sit and watch it snow out the sunroom but I had to return the rental van in town, grab groceries, then cleaned out all the cupboards and drawers when I got home b/c we had mice while we were in Florida. I caught 3 mice this week and haven't caught any since so hopefully that's the end of them.


Samuel making a snowfort.
After our one last lunch together with all 10 kids they sang Christmas Cantata around the piano. Ten minutes later these 5 were in a car crash and I shudder to think that if somehow they all died this would have been the last picture I had of them.
They left the house at 1, heading for the Charlotte airport to drop Kylie and Spencer off. Either Madalyn or Alexis could have dropped them off by themselves but I loved that both wanted to go and Thomas did too, just to spend car time together. (It's 2 hours each way.) I thought I'd get the 5 little kids to unpack from Florida, put Christmas decorations away and watch a movie so that I could have some quiet time. But at 1:06 I got a call from Kylie saying they'd had a little crash.
I called my neighbor Ricky and he came and got me and took me down the road to the crash. Kylie took this of me hugging Madalyn. She was driving and the window shattered on her so she was pulling glass out of her hair and dabbing at the tiny cuts all over her hands. This was taken by the side of the road so that's how far off the road they went. 
They were driving around that corner coming towards us when Madalyn hit the brakes and started sliding sideways then went off the otherside of the road and through 2 fences that were perpendicular to each other. They hit a lot of those tall wooden posts and said it was a scene out of a movie.
They also hit this cattle gate and the lock was hanging in Madalyn's shattered window when the van finally came to a stop.


The officer came and was about to call a tow truck but Ricky pulled all the barbed wire off the car and sat on the glass and said, "Let's see if it'll crank!" He cranked it up and drove a big U turn around the field and drove it up onto the road grinning.
Driving it around the trees with both sliding doors open and Madalyn still sitting in it.
Some more bumper parts on the ground and pieces of log post they tore down.
The road is up there and they came through the fences down to here.
Hard to see all the fence they took down here.

Someone found the front license plate on the ground and tossed it into the car.


Pictures after we got home. Both mirrors are off along with several door handles, 3 hubcaps, both bumpers, the antenna, a taillight, and part of the luggage rack. Somehow all 4 sides of the van had extensive damage. The wiper fluid container had a gash in it and all the fluid ran out. There were dents everywhere. Our poor van! Ricky drove it home for us but the autobody guy said it would cost $10,000 to fix it and it still wouldn't look great. 




Talea was adorable playing with a bow and arrow set some friends gave us. I loved that she had a backpack and binoculars and hat on.




Sam and Andy

Thomas practicing his audition song for Seussical Jr.
Saturday: My favorite part of the week. Cutting, loading, hauling, and stacking wood. I love working as a family on our property. Madalyn's first time driving the lawn tractor.

The load looks small but it's just the angle. It really was big.

No comments: