Week by week

Week by week

Monday, December 20, 2010

Date Day

Last Monday we had Mommy Date day. I took Nathan to work so that I could have the van all day and take each child out to go shopping for the sibling whose name he/she had and get a bite to eat too. It was a wonderful day! It was only in the upper 20's with a wind chill factor below that and very gray skies, which made Christmas shopping all the more cozy. Since it was Monday and all the public school kids were still in school, there was very little traffic or lines. I spent about 2 hours with each child and it was so much fun!
When I came out of my bedroom that morning I was greeted by Alexis who was going to drop off Daddy with me and be first to go out. She was all dressed up, wearing a skirt and tights and church shoes. I was very impressed and really excited for our day. I mean, how often does it happen that you get to shop all day and eat out 5 times in one day? :)
Alexis took a long time deciding what to buy for Madalyn because she wanted to buy everything and didn't have enough money, but she finally decided and we went to Brueggar's Bagels for brunch. We shared a cinnamon roll bagel that was delicious!
Kaitlyn came with me on all of the dates except Madalyn's, when she was home taking a nap. Kylie baby-sat the other kids.

Madalyn was next and we went to Target to get Kylie a present. I love how decisive Madalyn is and doesn't need anyone's suggestions on what to buy. She was very quick and we were off to Salsarita's for lunch because she had a free taco coupon. I loved talking with her about her primary class and just having some slow, quiet time with her.






Thomas was next and picked out a bag of sour gummy worms at Fresh Market along with an orange juice. He is adorable and so much fun to take places. He went to Toys R Us to pick out Spencer a present.



Spencer insisted he's never eaten at McDonalds before (poor kid), so although I wanted our dates to be at quiet, more pleasant places, I consented. Besides, I had a coupon. He got a 1/3 lb hamburger with bacon and cheese plus medium fries and he ate it all! I was really surprised. I enjoyed talking to him about his primary class and friends and other interests.

After he finished we ran to Toys R Us for him to buy Thomas a present. We had to go really quickly because it was time to pick up Nathan from work. He's definitely a boy and had no problem spending 40 minutes eating and only 10 minutes shopping. :) Then we had a blast trying to make all the lights to get to Nathan in record time and we did it!

After FHE and the kids were in bed I took Kylie out. Since she's the babysitter, I had to wait until Nathan was home. I took Kaitlyn too so that Nathan could work on his patient notes. She's so easy that I hardly notice she's with us anyway. We went to Target where Kylie almost bought Alexis the same present Madalyn bought for her. She debated for a long time and picked something else. She's always been a fun shopper and we really get along when we're shopping so we had a great time.

Instead of eating out Kylie picked out a box of chocolates at Target like Nathan and I have on Valentines Day. Then we went over to Barnes and Nobles to eat them. The cafe was full so we sat in the children's section and ate and laughed all night until they kicked us out at closing. We can be very silly together and it reminds me of the fun times I had with my roommates at BYU.





I was trying to get Kylie to eat her chocolate as if it was the best thing she's ever tasted with all the oohs and ahhs and melt-in-your-mouth look on your face, but she just laughed instead.


Kylie would love it if we had a room in our house that looked like Barnes and Nobles. She would stay in it all day.

2 comments:

Sara Lyn said...

What a fun day! Thank you so much for taking pictures so we could see it, too! I loved seeing everybody and (as always) can't believe how big everyone is getting. Especially that Spencer is big enough to eat that big of a hamburger and that Kylie is so tall and grown up. Yay for Date Day!!

cheryl said...

How adorable!! You have he sweetest family. What lucky kids to have you as their mama. How fun to get to spend one-on-one time together. Such a fun post!