Week by week

Week by week

Thursday, June 7, 2012

We're Off!

California, here we come!
Last Friday we said our tearful good-byes to Nathan who will be left home alone for 2 months and we drove from North Carolina to Florida. Since Nathan's family lives there we have made the trip many times and we stopped at the same rest stop we always do plus a gas station. The trip went as perfect as could be except getting poured on so that I had to slow to 5mph on the freeway and fear that I was going to get hit.We prayed really hard and the rain let up then went from pourin to sprinkling several times before we finally got out of it. Then we hit a tiny bit of traffic right at 5:00 as we entered Jacksonville. We arrived at Nathan's aunt's house at 5:15 in great spirits. Travelling with 7 kids under 12 might not be so bad!
We had a great weekend celebrating his grandparent's 60th anniversary and staying with Nathan's family. We played games,talked, went to the park, and hung out.
Today we left Florida on our way to California. It will take 9 days to get there. Today wasn't as good as our drive last week but we made it to Mississippi. The older girls are a huge help in keeping our spirits up when things go wrong. We had an argument in the back seat, fussy little girls, lots of rain and traffic, and just tired kids. We left this morning at 7:23 and arrived at 5:15, except that it was really 4:15 here. We're going to adjust our time tomorrow though since we don't need the extra hour tonight. We didn't have any site-seeing today which is why we got in so early, so we swam in the hotel pool. After getting everyone in their suits (minus a child who left his at Grandma's) we trekked down to the pool. After everyone got in Kaitlyn pooped in her swimsuit. Now what do I do? I can't leave children unattended. Do I take them all back inside? Do I send Kylie to clean her up? Kylie volunteered so I let her. She brought her down in a dress, which Kaitlyn got back in the pool with. (First it was just playing on the steps but it ended up getting wet.) Then she pooped in her underwear. It had been 1 1/2 hours so we all went in anyway. I wasn't sure what to do with all the dirty and wet clothes/swimsuits, being without a washing machine for the next week and feeling generally overwhelmed by everything and the demands of the kids. Nathan's mom called and gave me encouragement, helping me feel much better. We got out some snacks (having eaten a very early Taco Bell dinner), which cheered us up, read scriptures, and I finally got all the kids tucked in. I'm going to bed too now. I'm not sure when I'll update next. It might not be till Father's Day when we arrive in CA. I know this is a little choppy but I'm tired and just wanted to get a little bit done tonight. Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

You are a supermom! You can do it!!