Week by week

Week by week

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Week ending 9-1-19

We had a normal week, busy with school and activities and having our friend from North Carolina here.  We used to have homeschool parties with her family and it was so good to see her again. Kylie and Madalyn took her college shopping and site seeing and I took her hiking and apricot picking.
Monday: Eating peanut butter sandwiches with fresh berries on them plus sliced bananas and grapes we just picked at our neighbors'. Tilly is eating a bowl of soup. 

Monday night we took Emma hiking. She's never been on an airplane before or west of the Mississippi so she was in awe of everything Utah. 
She had a blast hiking and seeing the canyon, waterfalls, and views of the city. It was fun to see it through her eyes. 
Spencer pondering while watching the falls. 
Whenever we got a view through the mountains of the city it was gorgeous. 
The pictures didn't come out though. 
The ending is rocks all the way up and by the time we got there is was getting pretty dark. 
We had to book it to get to the big waterfall before dark.
A really pretty sunset. 
These pictures were all lightened because it was so dark they didn't come out well. 
Selfie at the waterfall! The 5 of us had a really fun time hiking. 
Kaitlyn 
Alexis didn't want her picture lightened. 
Me 
We could see 3 temples from our view. Emma thought that was awesome. For the past 2 years they've been travelling 6 hours each way to the SC temple since Raleigh was closed. 
Tuesday: Nature school. This week we brought Madalyn and Emma and Thomas. Spencer and Alexis were at school and Kylie was at an appointment. We went to Hidden Falls and enjoyed the cool air and solitude. 
Madalyn quickly settled herself in the middle of the cliff and read the whole time. 


Somewhere up there are 4 kids. This is the uglier side where I didn't go. I prefer to sit where it's beautiful and rejuvenating.  
If you look close you'll also see 4 kids rock climbing here. 
They camouflaged pretty well. 
The rock where I sat and sketched. None of these pictures look very pretty, but it was a nice place and we all had fun. 
Makenna saying "Sister Libby's saxophone!" It's a long story/joke but she'll remember it when she sees this. 
Wednesday: A neighbor gave us a bag of clothes and Andy quickly claimed these pajamas and put them on. I took some pictures to send her in our gratitude. 


Samuel's therapist, Luis, pushes the 5 little kids on the swing. 
He wound them up and then let them go.  

 
Andy's birthday presents arrive. 

We went to the funeral of our neighbor and sweet sister in our ward, Jolene Stephenson. To the primary kids she went by "MamaJo." She let the kids play in her yard, had a watergun fight with the little boys that I posted pictures of the other week, and went on walks with me. She was always decked out in bright colors, big jewelry, perfect hair and a big smile. She scattered sunshine everywhere. She died very unexpectedly and I still can't believe she's gone.
I loved getting the 10 children ready for the funeral after school and was so glad they could all come. We usually sit on the benches so it was kinda fun seeing them all on their own chair waiting for it to start. I love having 10 children and am sad they're starting to move away. 
After the funeral there was a party in MamaJo's back yard. She is related to Alex Boye so he was there with his 7 children. MamaJo's family put out her costume box which the kids had fun playing with. 

I looked up and saw Madalyn taking a picture of Spencer with Alex Boye. 

MamaJo loved Elvis and decorated her whole house in Elvis paraphernalia in January (when he was born) and August (when he died.) 

As Alex Boye told us, "All the coffee colored kids are mine." So if you see any in these pictures, they're his. :) 


I don't know his name, but he asked me to take his picture when I was taking some of my kids. 
Alex did a whole concert for us while we ate catered Cafe Rio, songs including "I Can Only Imagine." Here he did "Lemonade" and got the kids to come up and put on some crazy clothes and dance.  
It's hard to see but Kaitlyn is holding Tilly up and Makenna is in front of her then Samuel with the 4th of July shorts that Alex told him to wear. 


While I was tucking the little boys in that night Kait went crazy with my camera. I'll only put a few pictures here. :) 

I actually love this one she took! 


Friday morning when I went around calling for everyone to come to science I found them all reading. This year I printed off the entire list of books from Jenny Phillips and bound it and had all the children choose books to read from it for part of their language arts curriculum. We also picked lots of read aloud books. Here Kaitlyn is reading Sam's read aloud book to him. 
I walked into the house and Talea and Anderson were reading together on the floor and Makenna on the couch. 
When I was tucking Talea in I looked out the upstairs window and saw Makenna blissfully twirling a jumprope around her waist so I ran outside to capture the moment. She's such a sweet, innocent little girl.

Andy helping me sort the tomatoes we picked into perfect ones we want to eat and the imperfect ones we want to puree into tomato sauce. We have made bags and bags of crushed tomatoes to use in chilis and soups this winter. 
After working all afternoon finishing all of our school for the week and working on college stuff for Kylie and Madalyn, we were finally able to have our Quint party where we watch an episode of "Outdaughtered." It was the last party with all 10 kids until Christmas. I love having them all home and cherish these times. They're growing up too quickly!! I have the best kids ever. 
We had homemade stromboli, fruits and veggies, cheese and crackers, popcorn, and my best granola bars. Can't beat our Holladay parties! 
Saturday: We had enchiladas to start our fast and Talea was so cute eating the corn we picked in Brother Tarbet's garden. 

 
Wearing Tom's hat and Spencer's sunglasses. 

Today: Anderson's 4th birthday!!
We had my brother and his family over for macaroni and cheese and to hang out. 

Andy being silly instead of smiling for the picture. 
He wanted brownies but never ate his, only the ice cream Brady made. It seems like my kids will eat cake or brownies by itself but whenever there's a birthday and we eat it with ice cream they only eat the ice ream. So year after year I never know what to make for them--cake, cookies, brownies, pie?? When Kaitlyn was little we only did ice cream with toppings and that was a hit so I guess I'll go back to that for the little kids.




Everyone checking out the garbage truck my mom got Andy. 
Cousins gave him a frisbee and bubbles, Thomas made him a train, train track, and keys with his 3D pen, I gave him keys and a pocketknife, and my mom got him a garbage truck. He had a really good birthday! 


The keys I bought and the keys Thomas made. 

Playing with his new cool truck. He absolutely loves garbage trucks! We wave to ours on our street and he gets out and talks to us and gives us little gifts like pencils and coloring books. 
Happy Birthday Andy Man!

1 comment:

Lori Hofmann said...

I'm coming to your house this winter to eat all these yummy vegetables you've been freezing! I'm so jealous! I want someone to give me fresh vegetables!