Week by week

Week by week

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Week ending 9-22-19

Monday: Shopping at Savers for costume pieces for "42nd Street."
Tuesday: Happy 19th birthday to Kylie! She also got her mission call that morning! So we quickly cancelled school and got to work. Three kids started unloading the dishwasher, another one washed dishes, others picked up toys and helped me plan the menu, timing of errands, and what to do for decorations. It was a really exciting, busy day. 
In the midst of our crazy mission call day where we were working really hard to clean the house and make food and run errands, Kaitlyn and Makenna decided it was "crazy hair day" and had a great time doing silly hairstyles.  
Also when I got home from my errands I discovered a humongous grasshopper on the ceiling of the van. 
Alexis arranged this gorgeous plate of treats. Kylie requested mini cinnamon rolls (which a friend kindly ran to Costco and bought for us) and mini cheesecakes and we made some chocolate cookies for a variety. 
Alexis had a few classes at school and play practice but she was willing to skip YW to help me set up.  

My friend Kristin came over with some decorations including candles, a globe, and other nice touches. Kylie loves beautiful decorations and tasty food so I think she enjoyed her party. 

The top paper has the extended family's guesses.
The bottom paper has the ward's guesses. 
My mom and Brother Summers (YM pres) were the only ones who guessed Brazil! 

Everyone gathering in anticipation of the big moment.
We have an awesome ward who is so supportive and has blessed us in so many ways.  


Unfortunately because I was facetiming my sister in Bulgaria I don't have any pictures of her opening her call but I'll try to get some from those who were there. Here's the hugs afterward. 
She's going to the Brazil Santos Mission! She'll be learning Portuguese and going to the Brazil MTC January 15, 2020.

Everyone chatting and leaving. 
I finally get to congratulate Kylie and get my hugs.  


Santos is on the underside of Brazil, that city just above the "OU" in South America.  
Opening birthday presents. 
I got her a temple bag. 

While Kylie was opening presents, Makenna tries to copy a picture we have of Nathan doing this same pose around 7 years old. 
It looked more like this. :) 
Kylie posing with her mission call. 
We're so excited! 

Cousin Rebekah. 

Picture with her sisters before they go to bed.
We missed Madalyn greatly and had hoped the call came before she went to Idaho, but it was awesome that it came on Kylie's birthday and Madalyn was enjoying her 2nd day of college. 
Picture with her brothers, minus Samuel who had already put himself to bed. (Andy had napped.) 
Spencer wanted one of just him and Kylie, who he really respects and looks up to. 
I can't believe it! My very first missionary! 
I'm so proud of Kylie and all the good choices she's made in her life to bring her to this point. She is a choice daughter, one of my best friends, and someone who will bless the lives of many as she shares the gospel and radiates all the goodness inside her to those around her.
Wednesday: Cute kiddos working on school. 
Talea had to wear a matching shirt as Alexis today. Then while Alexis was practicing her dance steps for the musical Talea brought her a calculator and they talked on the phone to each other. :) 
Thursday: To commemorate the 3rd anniversary of my dad's death my family goes to the temple. So Thursday I planned a temple trip with the 8 kids while it was warm and sunny then Friday I went while it was cold and rainy. While Spencer, Alexis, and Thomas did baptisms I sat outside with the 5 little kids. We sketched some of the plants and flowers (mini nature school) and enjoyed the perfect 75 degree weather and peaceful atmosphere of the temple grounds. 


I loved seeing the 8 kids reaching into the fountain at the same time. 
I really miss Kylie and Madalyn for pictures like these.


Trying to get a selfie. 

20190919_184456.jpg
My brother Brady and his wife, Tami went to the Payson Temple that night.
20190919_211605.jpg

After the temple we went home and had grilled cheese for dinner. Then I took Kaitlyn and Makenna to their little gymnastics class. 
After gymnastics I took them on a hike for this week's nature school. Since the beginning of the school year we wanted to do one without the little kids because they need so much and it's hard to actually get much nature journaling or relaxing in. Kait, Kenna, and I had a great time and I was so grateful for Alexis staying home with the other kids and putting the little ones to bed. 
I know, Utah hikes aren't that pretty compared to ones in the East but we're learning to find beauty in them. Makenna was really cute though and I loved only having 2 little girls to focus on.  
Kaitlyn took the lead, zipping her way up. It was fun watching her from behind. Makenna is not a hiker so I stayed back and encouraged her. 




The lake was gorgeous and we sat here for our nature school.
It was windy and chilly with an approaching cold front so we only stayed about an hour.





Heading back down. 

Friday: The cold front arrived with lots of rain. Here the kids wait for the garbage truck we hear coming down the street. 
Running out to meet him. 
Art projects! 
Makenna reading to Talea in the corner. 

Andy and Tom doing their school work independently on the couch. The whole house was quiet and studious this morning. I just loved looking around and seeing everyone content with learning. 
During naptime I went to the temple for my dad. At the same time Kylie went to Provo City Center, Madalyn went to Rexburg, Mom went to Sacramento, and Lori went to the Meridian Temple. We always take selfies but I forgot! At least I remembered yesterday when I took the kids. :) There were 2 wedding party pictures going on when I came out so I rushed to my car but I did pull out my camera to take some pics of the hail I was surprised to see. :)

Halfway home I remembered the selfie! I should have turned around to get one in front of the temple but I was due to arrive home at the exact minute I told the kids I would (3:45pm) and wanted to be on time for the fall party I promised them. So I just took a picture at a stoplight. 

Madalyn in Rexburg. 
Lori in Meridian. 
Kylie at Provo City Center 
Mom in Sacramento.
Getting out the decorations for our "Fall That's All! party." 
Spencer texting his girlfriend during our party. :) 
Saturday: Aby came to our house for homecoming at the same time we got home from errands so while Spencer was getting ready Aby (pronounced "Abby", short for Abyana) asked if she could comb the little girls' hair. They were thrilled and so was I. I miss Kylie being here to do that. 
After braiding their hair fancy they went and put on their tea party dresses.
Aby and Spencer off to the homecoming dance. 


Not sure why the girls didn't grab their little jackets they wear with the dresses or put their black shirts on underneath, but we were in a hurry so I hesitantly let them be in the picture (and I didn't want to offend Aby who isn't an active member of our church.) 
They really wanted pictures on the swing but the lighting was terrible. 


The girls took pictures of each other spinning which didn't come out either. 



Sunday: nursery class outside! Kaitlyn is my helper and we had a lot of fun taking the toddlers outside for snack and songs instead of freezing inside with the a/c on. 



2 comments:

Diane said...

Congrats to Kylie and all! Missions are awesome!

Lori Hofmann said...

Ohh I love Spencer's hair in those mission pictures!