Week by week

Week by week

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Week ending 3-20-22 Stairs and pantry projects

Two big projects this week: new stair balusters Monday-Wednesday and renovating the pantry Thursday and Friday. I'll post those pictures first and then put the other random pictures I took while taking a break from projects and not go perfectly chronological this week. I spent all my free time after school working on these projects and when I needed a break I went out to cut wood or plant the garden. I love getting projects done so it was a great week for me. I noticed while I was getting my creative energy out updating our house the kids were busy creating card games, doing art, sewing capes, and making their own paper computer.

Time to demo the stair balusters and put in new ones.
I chain sawed the old ones in half in order to get them out.
All gone!
Thomas was my main helper in this project. He drilled all the holes. The other kids helped hold up the balusters so we could see the pattern going up the stairs and to see where the spirals would be centered. I taped off the places I wanted cut and went outside and cut them. They were 44" but needed to be about 30" so I had to cut some off both ends. Each stair was a different size though because our stairs and railing are whacky. It was a lot harder of a project than we thought with many setbacks.
After 2 days we finally got 7 in! We were so proud of ourselves.
Thomas and I checking to see if they're in tight enough.
Wednesday: Finally all done!!
Before we painted the wall or redid the balusters.
Close up of the balusters.
We also finally found some nice mirrors we like, ordered them, and got them hung up the day they came.
I don't have great "before" pictures because I wiped off a roller here when I was done painting the dining room a few weeks ago, knowing I'd paint in here soon. But here's a view of the doorway. The pantry is a lean-to addition where the sellers left their deep freezer and mini fridge for us. Wasps come in all summer through the cracks so I needed to caulk and put up some trim as well as paint.
I also wanted to add some trim and a curtain to this window.
And get a new light fixture.

Standing where the shelves are. To the right is the doorway into the hall where the laundry and bathroom are. Wasps came in above the door where the wood paneling didn't touch each other.
Sam and Andy helped pull out or hammer in nails before the painting began.
Thomas measuring the angle so I'd know how to cut the wood for the trim.
This is after the primer and first coat were put on.
Makenna helped me hammer in all the trim.
She is a great, supportive helper. She encourages me when I'm discouraged and helps me figure things out when I'm stuck.
Just about done! I love it! I really like the color and I'm glad I trimmed the window. The valance is a burlap bag that looks great in person. We've never had a curtain up in here, just an empty rod.
Before
After
Before
After
The view standing where the shelves are. To the right is the laundry/bath hallway.
Hopefully no more wasps!
Before. Standing in the hallway.
After. 
I really love it. It's my new favorite room in the house except now it stinks and I can't figure out why. Don't know if it's the paint or onions I put in the freezer or the air freshner or a combination of all three. If it's not one problem, it's another. Now we still don't like to go in there, haha.
Now for the rest of the week's pictures: Tilly and Lexi reading scriptures together.
Tilly and Makenna planting carrot tops.

Andy bringing wood in.
The daffodils at their peak.

Kait and Kenna playing in one of their many nests around the yard.
Kaitlyn sewed her and Makenna capes out of curtains that were left here.
Madalyn loved it and said she always wanted one, so she tried it on. :)

Thomas made his own card game. He designed it on paper and then designed it on the computer and printed out cards on cardstock. He cut them out and taught the rules to the little kids. Now every time I come into the living room they're playing it even when they're supposed to be getting dressed and starting school.
Madalyn combed Tilly's hair and took these pictures.


I took this one on my bad camera. Her hair is so long and pretty!
I love seeing the south pasture beyond the trees turning green and the mountain range beyond it.
The view from the sunroom. I also see it from where I sit at the table and I love that little round south pasture. It's curved perfectly and makes me want to run down and spin around in it.. It's hard to see in this picture, but it's right in the middle. It catches my eye every time I look out the window so it must be getting prettier all the time for me to stop and look.
Talea has taken off in her reading! Here she sat in the hallway and read Biscuit books to me while I painted the pantry.
She also threw her doll a birthday party.
Samuel made a March madness bracket on a paper computer. He has 4 fridges he made in the woods (deep holes he dug with covers to keep food cool) and the bracket is for how deep each is dug. (Or something like that.:))

Saturday we went to a baptism and the family's grandparents house afterward. We were the only friends there in an extended family setting and it made me miss my family so much. I'm envious of those who can have family gatherings all the time.
We had fun doing their hoverboards and hanging out.


Madalyn pushing Makenna and Kaitlyn on the dolley.

No comments: