Week by week

Week by week

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Another Field Trip!

This morning at the breakfast table I looked out the window and said, "Today would have been a perfect day to go on a field trip." It was beautiful weather, we had nothing going on, and it was the middle of the week. I find Wednesday's to draw less crowds than other days. (I was right. We practically had the place to ourselves.) We all agreed we should go somewhere and jumped up to get ready. We went to a free nature and science center about 40 minutes away. It was fabulous! In the science center there was a walk through digestive system and heart, a hospital to play in, a fire safety area where you could dress up in real fire fighter and police clothes, nutrition area, weather area, and much more. Everything was hands on. My kids could have stayed in any one area all day. There was also a planetarium with lots of hands on activities and we got our own private planetarium show since we were the only ones there. It was great because we could talk and ask lots of questions. I could point out to the kids things we've learned before or quiz them on it. I could follow-up at home by having them do reports or look at the night sky with them tonight. It's so fun being a part of their learning. If they had gone there on a school field trip I wouldn't have been able to do that. (And they probably wouldn't have learned much.)
In the nature center there was a touch tank, lots of reptiles and animals, a cave with more animals, and an aquarium. We all liked the parrot the best who actually talked to us. There was also a cockatoo who said, "Happy Birthday," which we got a kick out of.

The most ironic thing that just makes me laugh is this: There is an area that talks about the evils of tobacco and all that. Then we go outside to eat our lunch at the playground and picnic tables and I smell smoke. I look over and see a lady smoking. I can't believe smoking would be allowed at a health and science center so I look around and not too far away there is a "Welcome to our tobacco free park" sign with a picture of a cigarette and a line through it. We eat our lunch, she's done smoking, I wish I had said something, we go on the train ride. We come back, she's lighting up again, and as I walk by I have the courage to point out the no smoking sign. She says she didn't see it. We go over to the fossil dig. There's a dad smoking. I politely point out the no smoking sign. Then I'm thinking I should have asked if they saw the tobacco display in the science center. I'm wondering, "Who brings their kid to a health and science center which has all these things on fire safety, bike and car seat safety, nutrition, and health, then goes outside and smokes? For some reason I found it funny.
Ok, here are the pictures now.


Sitting in front of a fountain

Madalyn being a piece of food and getting eaten! There was a cool walk-through digestive system that the kids loved. They even made me squeeze through it.


Trying out the fire fighter and police officer gear.

Thomas hitting the pipes to make music.

Riding the train! It was fun to have it to ourselves.

Digging for shark's teeth. We found quite a few.

Attempting the rock climbing wall.

Kylie as a human sundial. You stand on the month and put your arm straight up. Wherever the shadow is, that's what time it is. If you look closely you can see Kylie's shadow between the 12 and 1.

6 comments:

Kara said...

This looks like such a fun place! We're going to have to go. I love all the pics. I guess I've missed the last few posts. The story of Thomas and the cupcakes made me laugh. He must have been so disappointed to only find cake. :)

Charlotte said...

I liked the cupcake story, too. Except you must be better mom, because I would have been something other than entertained by it.

Anyway, I love that place. I didn't find it till right before we moved though :(

Ryan and Heather Moss said...

Emily loves going there. Isn't it wonderful that we, as parents, have teaching opportunities, no matter what the setup is? We can always discuss things with them & answer their questions.

Seth said...

That was brave of you to point out the smoking signs. Great pictures. I love the giant mouth.

cheryl said...

It's so true about the smoking. I have very little patience for people who smoke where they shouldn't. IT amazes me that people still do.

Lena said...

Well I must be the only clueless parent here but...Where is this place? Seems like a great place for the kids to have fun but learn too. Please let me in on this wonderful "secret"!!! :o)