Week by week

Week by week

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Field Trip!!

We've had enough of staying home bored, so this week we decided to take our new van for a spin. We're studying the 1700's right now, and since we missed Williamsburg homeschool days the week our old van was broken, I looked online to find a town in North Carolina that had similar colonial activities to make up for it. We found Edenton over on the coast, the first colonial capital of NC, and studied up on it before going. We learned about the famous people who lived there and some of the major events like the Edenton Tea Party, which happened 10 months after the Boston one. Like Boston, Edenton was a major sea port during the 1700's and 1800's until Norfolk boomed and practically put it out of business.
I guess I didn't take many pictures inside the colonial houses we went in--too busy being interested in everything:)--but I have pictures of other things we did. By the way, Kylie got everyone dressed in coordinating outfits before I even woke up. :)



Mesmerized by the fish at the free aquarium.
(I know they're not colonial, but I figured we may as well get a little science in too.)


Having a quick picnic lunch because the ducks were trying to get our food. After a few minutes there were about 40 swarming around us, scaring Alexis and Thomas.


A walk onto a pier.




Taking a trolley ride! We learned a lot of history about the town and got to see houses from the 1700's, the very first church built in NC in 1701, a cotton mill, and lots of other cool places. We mostly loved looking for Georgian, Federal, Greek Revival, and Victorian era homes and buildings. We studied up on the eras from my BYU interior design textbook and the girls really soaked it in. The tour guides were impressed they were picking out chippendale wing chairs and Queen Anne high boys. It's fun to feel smart once in awhile. :) It was mostly fun to have so many houses to practice on and see so many real examples.

5 comments:

Charlotte said...

We love going to historical places. They are fascinating. I'm glad you had fun. I noticed the coordinating outfits. It is adorable that it was your daughter's idea. Elise does that same stuff.

Kara said...

I'm putting Edenton on our list of "places to visit." See? You DO do fun things, you just don't know it.

You took an interior design class?? Tell me more!

Sara Lyn said...

Wow. I don't even know what a high boy is. Cute pictures!

Sally said...

How fun!!

cheryl said...

That looks so fun. Kylie did a great job--the kids look so cute!!