Week by week

Week by week

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Week ending 10-3-21 Thomas's closet and room renovation, fall activities

 

Monday: The boys digging their refrigerator they're making like their Swiss Army knife book shows.





I love playing in the woods with these 3 young'uns. We jumped on logs that bounced, and picked up acorns and were so carefree.
While the 3 middle kids were in rehearsal I walked around the main streets of Mt. Airy. It's been Mayberry Days the past week so there have been lots of tourists. Come stay with us if you ever want to visit Mayberry!
I took these 3 to the library and also explored this excavator. It's fun to have time to kill and not be in a hurry. I feel like I haven't been in a hurry since I left Utah. It sounds like a contradiction because I'm an efficient person, but I love the pace here. Slow, relaxed, time for friends chatting on front porches, time to observe nature.
Tuesday: Speaking of observing nature, at breakfast we watched a squirrel getting a walnut and burying it. Then it would go get another one and take a different route to his burying spot and bury that one too. It was fascinating! I love squirrels and have never gotten to watch one bury nuts before. We have lots of walnuts and pecans falling from our trees so I hope to see lots of squirrels getting ready for winter.
Wednesday: The dogwood all burgundy.


Before: Thomas's closet. While he was at rehearsal the 4 little kids and I pulled off the wood paneling.

A lot of pieces were cut in squares or rectangles and nailed on with trim where they overlapped. So that meant lots of trim on random places on the wall.
I love demo-ing!
More wood paneling under the top layer.
When I took the paneling off the ceiling it showed a hole into the attic and damaged drywall. And after 2 layers of panels on the back, finally drywall! But more horizontal tongue and groove paneling on the left. Not sure if I should paint it or sheetrock over it. A friend is coming over to help me next week.

There were these 3 kinds of wood paneling on top of each other plus the horizontal tongue and groove paneling we left on. Crazy.
Thursday: Alexis met these homeschool friends at YW Wednesday night. It was a 3 ward YW/YM activity so they're in a different ward but not too far away. We had them over and clicked right away. Here their oldest challenges 3 of mine to a stick pull.
Elijah wins!
He tried with Thomas too and still won.
I bought the 3 girls matching overalls for a special fall gift. They never get brand new clothes and Kaitlyn's been asking for overalls for a couple of years.





Saturday: Getting Thomas's room ready to fix up. I wanted to pull all the wood paneling down but we can see several different kinds behind this top kind and I'm afraid of finding no drywall at all or holes or costly problems. Plus to pull down the paneling I'd have to take down the trim of 3 doors and a window plus trim and baseboards around the room. Since this paneling and trim is in great shape, we decided just to paint it and save our money for a project that really needs it. This view is from the reading spot doorway. His closet is left of the window. Right where the certificates end is the doorway to the girls' room.
This is the wall looking from his bed. Thomas is standing in front of his closet. The door to the left goes out to the reading spot.
I started by sanding the popcorn ceiling that had really thick, pointy spikes. Since they're only 6' tall ceilings it was easy to get cut just lifting up our arms to change our shirts. Not to mention how out of date they look. Samuel was a good runner to grab me more sand paper and stuff. I loved how he put on a mask. Out in the reading spot is Thomas's bed and stuff.

Ready, set, go!
After all the sanding was done.
Vacuuming it up.
Talea wanting her picture taken of carrying her laundry upstairs. She's wanting a lot of pictures these days. :)
Watching conference.

Loading, unloading, and stacking wood between sessions. I cut all this on Friday from the woods by the garden.  I love cutting and stacking wood in the wood. Reminds me of my childhood.
Back to work on Thomas's bedroom: putting the primer on. Painting paneling it very tedious work because you have to get a tiny paintbrush to paint in the grooves.
Especially at the baseboards where a big brush won't fit. I sat there and painted each line while listening to  the night session of conference.
These 3 were good to pitch in with a paintbrush and paint the lines. It's a small room and short walls but still it took all day! Glad that's the last of the beadboard in this house.
10pm. Conference just finished and we about finished too with the primer. Monday we'll buy paint and do this whole process over with paint.
Sunday: Going for a walk this morning with Kait and Kenna. It was a beautiful foggy morning and I loved watching them run down the driveway.

Watching conference.



3 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so impressed with all your work. Also impressed that you have drywall - I think your house is about the same age as ours (1925). We have drywall in the basement, but our whole main floor is plaster, which I find kind of intimidating. Honestly, I find all home improvement intimidating, which doesn't match well with an old house! You're inspiring me.

Marcie said...

Yes, ours was built 1936. I didn't know there wouldn't be drywall. When I first wanted to tear down all the beadboard in the living room my neighbor is the one who told me there probably wasn't any drywall. I still wanted to tear it down and put Sheetrock up then and do it right. But she said it would be a big project and costly. I still planned to do it but then when Kylie was coming home from her mission in just a couple weeks I figured I'd better paint it at least for her and drywall later. It actually turned out good and we're happy with it, so the beadboard will stay up. I asked the previous owner if there was drywall in Thomas's room or closet and he said yes. So I started pulling off the beadboard. I did find those two walls in the closet but the wall on the left didn't have any and pieces I pulled off in his bedroom didn't have drywall behind them either. So you're right, it's pretty slim around here. The wall with the stairs has drwyall on top of the wood paneling. It's obvious and it bugs me, but oh well for now. Thanks for your compliments! I'm definitely in a new ballgame here. Heavenly Father is stretching me past my comfort zone but at least this week I'm really enjoying it.

Marcie said...

And thanks for writing! Now I can read your blogs and I'm so excited!! Your family is awesome! You're awesome!