Week by week

Week by week

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Week ending 2-13-22 Makenna's 10th birthday, playing outside, painting the dining/kitchen

 

Birthday girl, Makenna!
I should have cut her bangs but oh well. She is the easiest, laid-back, always willing to help, forgiving child. She is the first to say, "Yes Mom" when I call for prayer or school or chores. She helps Andy even when he's rude to her. She does whatever I ask and never complains about anything. She's just happy with whatever life gives her or whatever we're doing.
Andy threw fits all morning so he didn't get to watch Makenna's birthday movie with her. Instead I took him to the end of the driveway where we shoveled leaves out of the ditches where they were clogging the drain and making our driveway flood. It was fun working with him. He's great one-on-one and I enjoy his company. He just struggles to obey quite often when I'm trying to get everyone to do their school and chores.
Andy scooping them out of this drain that goes under our driveway.
Makenna opening presents. She got clothes for her and her doll. Kaitlyn gave her a Lego crib and stroller.



Every year Makenna makes a whole wheat funfetti cake.
Wednesday: Climbing the cherry tree.
It was 65 from Wednesday to Saturday and we enjoyed a lot of outside time.
The 5 little kids playing dragons on the tramp. I love running to the shed for a tool and seeing them all happily playing.
Madalyn and Anderson coming out from a hike in the woods. When he started throwing fits during the dragon game I asked Maddie to spend a little one-on-one with him.
Samuel helping me prune the blueberries.

We planted the branches we cut to see if they'll turn into a blueberry bush.
All wet from the dragon game. I don't know what it was but they had a great time.
Thursday: I took Makenna on a mommy date on a bike ride. Unfortuatenly the trail we chose had too much mud and snow because it was between two mountains so we didn't go too far.

She really liked this Little Chestnut Creek.
We ate lunch in the gazebo by the river for awhile, which she loved.
Checking out this cool old caboose in the parking lot.

When we got home we decided we'd paint the dining and kitchen area. It was nice weather so it was a good day for opening windows while we sanded down the rough textured walls. This is getting everything ready and moving the desk table.
I sanded and painted this header too, which some day I want to replace with a beautiful beam.
Looking from the kicthen to the ugly white stucco textured header which I was excited to paint.
Kids eating stew outside while I primed the walls. 
Andy said, "My favorite part of the stew is the salt."

While playing tag after dinner Kait ran into the electric fence and got a scratch that went up her torso and around her arm pit to the back of her shoulder. I felt so bad! She was getting shocked while her shirt was tangled in the wire and Samuel had to cut her out with his pocketknife. When Kait was showing us the hole in the armpit of her shirt he said, "That's great! Now you can put your deodorant on through the hole instead of lifting your shirt." I'm thinking of having the Smiths move their cows because we're getting tired of the fences being on our property and having to be careful of them.
Tilly helping prime.

Getting all the dark wood primed. 


Starting the dark grey.


Friday: Painting all the trim and starting the light grey on top.
We watched he Olympics till midnight and I painted the walls and header as fast as I could while no little kids were needing something or asking to help.
Saturday: I begged these 3 to help me before leaving for the temple at 11:30 and I'd be home with the 4 little kids all day. Thomas also helped cut some wood pieces to fit in the floor and ceiling where we pulled a post out. Then the four of them left and had a good time at the ward temple trip and didn't get home until 9:45pm. It was a long day for me with just the 4 little ones and they're not even little anymore. Still, it was lonely.

Tilly and Makenna thought the open area would be perfect for figure skating so they played that for awhile while I patched the floors with wood Tom had cut.


A very long day but finally done! Here's a finished pic of the place we put our table. I tried to take a lot of before and after pictures but I still didn't get any good ones at the same angles to compare. Too bad. 
Someday we don't want a dead end kitchen so we'll change this.
Kinda funny to paint the wood paneling on the back of an oven and cupboard and not the front, but it also looked awful as dark wood paneling. I need to make a nice kitchen sign for the top.
This looks way better than the ugly brown basement door.
After painting most of the day, I got everything done, including the area above the cupboards and sink. Then when taking this I decided I should do the window trim too so I primed and did one coat of that before calling it quits as I was exhausted. I'm not even sure I like it but at least it looks better. Now I'm even more excited to remodel the kitchen so maybe I'll look into that.
The window all done.
Everything put back together with the maps up and table in it's spot. I need to make a decoration for the wood paneling on the right (the back of the cupboards).
Before
After. 
I'm going to change the stairs too when I figure out what would look good.
Don't love anything in my house yet but at least it's giving me some practice before I do a better update/remodel. Maybe I'll know what I like/want/how to do it by then. This is really not my forte.

No comments: