Week by week

Week by week

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Week ending 5-1-22 Camping

 

Monday: Picked a bunch more asparagus for dinner. We love it!
Tuesday: I needed a quick run through the woods for a break and love seeing these 3 older kids Madalyn, Alexis, and Thomas hanging out on the slack line playing together.
It's been super fun seeing the woods change with the seasons. Soon the whole place will full of tall ferns, blackberries and vines.
The top of the hill after we climb what we call "the staircase" because there are sporadic limbs going across imitating stairs.
I hiked the back woods then crossed the top of the driveway and hiked the front woods and came out to see the sun shining through the dark rain clouds behind me and lighting up the trees in front of me. It was a lot prettier in real life.
Wednesday: Alexis has been learning the art of sourdough and I'm so proud of her. It's something I've never done but will be learning from her before she leaves for college. I haven't been into bread lately but her whole wheat sourdough is delicious!
Thursday: I took the 5 little kids camping in Jefferson National Forest and we had a blast. Here's where we just arrived and are ready to set up the tent.

The view from the batrhoom. The campground is higher in elevation than our house so there are still dogwoods and redbuds everywhere. It was beautiful.
There were 50 campsites and only 10 occupied--by RV's. We were the only ones tent camping. Everyone else were sweet seniors so it was a very quiet campground. We had our own woods and creek access which was great as we could do our own thing and I didn't feel like we were bothering anyone. Nobody ever came to the sites next to us and each site is pretty secluded anyway. It was perfect and we'll definitely go there again.
We took turns on the 2 scooters we brought and had a great time riding around the campground loop. I never got a picture but Kaitlyn would ride with Andy on her back and Talea standing in front of her. Then Makenna and Samuel would share the other scooter and that way all 5 could ride at the same time. :)

I took this for Madalyn when she asked how it was going. Sitting reading a book, perfectly content. The 5 little kids got along great the entire trip and found plenty to do to keep themselves occupied.
Taking a break from scootering and grabbing a snack and just talking.
Playing in the creek that ran alongside our campsite.
We hiked the 1 mile nature trail.

The dolls came along. :)
Cooking hot dogs for dinner.
Behind them is the short trail to the creek, maybe 10 steps.





After dinner Kaitlyn played her ukulele and we sang along.
Sam and Andy loved stirring the fire.

Friday morning: I got up and started a fire and read by it for a little while. Then I poked my head into the tent and found Tilly sleeping soundly while Andy lays in bed and Samuel reads.
Kait and Kenna reading too.

After breakfast I took the boys on a long hike for a couple of hours.
At a few places the leaves were up to Andy's knees along the trail.

Talea looked like a cute little orphan with messy hair and charcoal on her face. She must have been tired because she kept getting frustrated with her hopscotch she was trying to make with a burnt stick. I helped her out and we played for awhile. She's really good!

Skipping rocks in the creek.
We climbed a 100' rickety 75 year-old tower to see an amazing view.





We stayed another night and had a great time cooking grilled cheese over the fire, singing around the campfire again, and just talking. Guess I didn't take any more pictures. I'm so glad we went. It was so easy with just 5 little kids and it gave them extra time with me that they needed.
Saturday: After we got home and unpacked we planted flowers.

No comments: