Week by week

Week by week

Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Birthday

Last Saturday was my birthday. The big 3-0. I didn't have grandiose plans, but a dream birthday would include a family trip to a state park, hike, picnic in the shade. Then later, dinner at a Mexican restaurant with Nathan and we come home at 9:00 to find all the kids bathed and asleep and the house clean. :) Then we'd have the evening to hang out and talk or read together. Sounds great to me. I thought since May was one of those easy rotations with only one weekend working, and my birthday was on a Saturday, I could have my dream birthday. No such luck. Unfortunately, because all the other weekends were taken with trips or church stuff, the one weekend had to be my birthday. Nathan worked Friday and Saturday nights, so he slept all day Saturday.
Kylie brought me breakfast in bed-- my favorite: Wheat Chex with fresh strawberries. After that the kids were good to play while I updated the blog. During naptime I ran some errands. Not what I'd like to do on my birthday, but they needed to be done and it seemed the best opportunity (sans enfants). I did stop at Once Upon A Child and lucked out in finding some nice church dresses for Kylie and Madalyn. I love surprising them with clothes and they love everything I buy them.
When I got home it was 4:15, so I quickly made my favorite dinner, chicken enchilladas. While they were baking we opened presents. Then we ate dinner and had cake and ice cream. By then Nathan had to go to work, so he rushed off and ate his in the car.
So that was basically it. It didn't turn out terrible by any means, just not how I thought it would for a big number. I did enjoy talking to my little sister on the phone that night. Thanks for calling, Lori!



I did enjoy making the birthday cake. I wish I had some cake decorating skills. I have friends who read my blog who are practically professional, but this is about the best I can do. Especially with our very healthy butter used in the frosting.

Opening presents. Thanks, Mom for always sending presents!

Note: this is not a call for birthday wishes; it's simply stating what's happenin here.

5 comments:

Kara said...

I'd eat that beautiful cake in a heart beat, after giving you rapturous congratulations on making such a great looking treat and for turning 30! :)

Charlotte said...

Happy 30th!! I've had many birthdays like that. Peter always seems to be scheduled for my birthday :(

Amanda said...

Rob worked for my birthday this year too. But since I share a birthday with both my mom and Chloe, and since we live close enough now to go visit my mom for the day, the girls and I met my mom at the mall (pretty much the halfway point between her house and mine) for a day of shopping and lunch. It was really fun. Happy birthday!

Brooke said...

Happy 30th! Your cake looks beautiful...and very delicious!

Sally said...

Happy Birthday Marcie! Your cake looks beautiful and yummy! :) Keep us posted on the match!